Homemade White Queso Dip
So last Monday, I made an amazing grand total of FOUR recipes to post for you guys. One was those stuffed pumpkins I posted last week, one was this queso, and two more will be posted here in the next couple weeks (stay tuned).
I just figure it’s easier to make a complete and utter disaster of my house once instead of four times throughout the month. And let me tell you, it was a complete and utter disaster in here that day.
My kids were surprisingly cooperative as far as not being total evil gremlins that day. They really seemed to enjoy the scraps that fell off of my photoshoot table onto the floor. At one point, I walked in to see my two-year-old happily sucking on a quarter of a lime and my eight-month-old gnawing on a large thumb of ginger. Well, I’m expanding their palates, what can I say?
- Homemade White Queso Dip
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 finely chopped poblano pepper, or 1/3 cup (or you can use jalapeños or a can of diced green chiles if you prefer)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Half of a red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk (I used whole)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated cheese (I used 1/2 cup grated quesadilla cheese and1/2 cup grated monterey jack cheese, but you could just use 1 cup total of one or the other)
- Picco de gallo (aka fresh salsa) for topping (optional) and of course chips for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk the heavy cream and corn starch until no lumps remain. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the pepper, garlic, and onion and saute until everything is softened.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are slightly softened (the more you cook them down, the more tomato flavor your sauce will have. If you want your sauce to be a purer white color, just toss them in and don’t cook them down at all).
- Add the heavy cream/cornstarch mixture and stir to combine. Add the milk, cumin and salt. Cook until bubbly.
- Turn heat to low and add the grated cheese. Stir until melted. Serve immediately or keep on a very low heat until read to serve.