Homemade Chewy Salted Caramel Crispy Bars
Therefore, you can rest assured that these bars are EASY to make. Otherwise, I could not have made them.
If you’re down for a crispy and chewy, sweet and salty, dark chocolate covered treat, these are for you. Enjoy.
- Homemade Chewy Salted Caramel Crispy Bars
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies (you can get gluten free ones if you need to)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used these dark chocolate chips)
- Coarse salt (I used this salt)
- Lightly grease an (at least) 8×8 inch sheet of parchment. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar and corn syrup in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. It will boil and turn a honey color and then it will turn a caramel color. As soon as the dark caramel color appears, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the butter and cream (be careful, it will bubble up!). Stir until the caramel is smooth. Add the vanilla and mix it in well. Reserve a tablespoon of the caramel for the top (optional).
- Fold in the Rice Krispies and then pour the mixture onto the parchment paper. Press it out to a 7 inch square.
- Melt the chocolate chips and spread evenly over the bars. Sprinkle with coarse salt before the chocolate hardens.
- After the chocolate hardens, you can drizzle on the remaining caramel (I also melted an additional 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to drizzle on after it hardened).
- Cut into bars and store in an airtight container.