I got big guy down for a nap and baby girl happy in her swing and started searching the cupboards and fridge looking for some kind of inspiration for a post. Moldy green beans and rotten apples flew over my shoulders as I dug. I was getting more desperate with each passing moment. I knew the kids wouldn’t sleep long. This was my only chance.
Suddenly I stumbled on an old loaf of store bought bread, and thus, these french toast sticks were born.
I quickly threw these together, unashamedly making a huge mess and glancing at the clock the whole time. And somehow, just as I was putting my camera away, the kids both simultaneously woke up starving.
Luckily I had the perfect snack prepared.
Of course, I didn’t have any gluten free bread around (I already explained the sorry state of my pantry that day) so I could not enjoy these myself, but they are definitely one-year-old approved.
- French Toast Sticks for One
- Makes 8 strips
- 2 slices sandwich bread (I used store bought whole wheat)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Maple syrup and powdered sugar
- Slice the bread into 8 strips. Set aside. Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
- Beat the eggs and cream in a shallow dish (I just use a fork). Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Soak the bread strips in the mixture (as many pieces as can fit at a time) flipping them to make sure you soak in as much as you can.
- Add the butter to the pan and once it is melted, lay the strips in the pan. Cook them for a few minutes, flipping halfway through so that both sides are golden brown. Serve with maple syrup and dust with powdered sugar if desired.