This is so weird right now looking at my table back home in Berlin right now in these photos. Wasn’t long ago I was eating this awesome spicy mac and cheese and chatting with our German neighbors out the window.
Now Samuel and I are driving in a McDonald’s scented car through the beautiful woods of North America, our mosquito bitten feet freshly soaked in the waters of Lake Superior
So, let me just tell you about this mac and cheese quick before I leave you. Just to put it simply, it’s AWESOME. It’s like some buffalo wings fell into a huge cheesy skillet of mac and cheese. Samuel loved it. You should make it. Have fun!
Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups cooked pasta
- About 3/4 cup chopped cooked chicken (you can use a rotisserie chicken or cook a chicken breast on the stove)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a red onion, chopped small (any onion will be though)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese (I used half fresh mozzarella and half gouda because that’s what I had, but be creative!)
- Crumbled blue cheese, green onions, and cilantro for topping
- About 1/3 cup of your favorite wing sauce or:
- 1 tablespoon tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat panggangan to 400ºF and grease a casserole dish or cast iron skillet.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add the garlic and onion and saute until softened and slightly browned.
- Mix a few tablespoons of the milk with the cornstartch and whisk until no lumps remain. Add to the onions and garlic. Add the remaining milk and whisk well.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, tabasco, cayenne, onion, and garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking over medium heat and whisking until thick and bubbly. Add the cream cheese and one cup of the cheese and stir well. Toss the pasta with the sauce mixture.
- Layer the remaining cheese and pasta in the pan, ending with cheese on top.
- To make the wing sauce, just combine the tabasco, cayenne pepper, butter, and corn starch in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring at each interval until thick. Add the water and whisk until smooth. Add more or less water to reach desired consistency.
- Toss the chopped chicken and wing sauce together. scatter the chicken on top of the pasta, pressing some pieces down into the pasta.
- Bake for about 1/2 hour. Top with blue cheese, cilantro, green onions and more wing sauce if desired.